- Version 3.2.1 (released 2013-11-27) hilights:
- http_client now uses HTTP/1.1, which is required by Twitter
since last week.
- A bunch of other things.
- Version 3.2 (released 2013-01-06) hilights:
- Updated Twitter module. Support for Twitter API 1.1, streaming API,
direct messages and some other improvements.
- Fixed potential connection issue to Google Talk, OpenFire, possibly
other Jabber services.
- A bunch of other things.
- Version 3.0.6 (released 2012-10-14) hilights:
- Updated MSN module, now speaking the MSNP18 protocol. This adds
support for MPOP and also fixes sending off-line messages.
- Loads of bugfixes, etc. accumulated over the last half a year.
- Version 3.0.5 (released 2012-02-18) hilights:
- OAuth2 support for Google Talk, Facebook chat and MSN Messenger (via XMPP).
- SSL certificate verification (edit your bitlbee.conf to enable it).
Works only with GnuTLS!
- Loads of bugfixes, etc.
- Version 3.0.4 (released 2011-12-04) hilights:
- Fixed MSN Messenger login issues.
- Twitter improvements: Fetch mentions, show originals of t.co "shortened"
- Merged the Skype
- Version 3.0.3 (released 2011-06-12) hilights:
- Twitter fixes (Twitter deprecated the API call BitlBee used to fetch
the contact list).
- Twitter enhancement: Ability to RT/reply to older tweets from someone
(help set show_ids).
- Lots of other small stuff.
- Version 3.0.2 (released 2011-03-07) hilights:
- MSN login fixes (@msn.com compatibility).
- CTCP support, /CTCP VERSION on Jabber contacts and /CTCP NUDGE on MSN
contacts (overuse this feature and I'll remove it again :-P).
- The usual bugfixes/improvements.
- Version 3.0.1 (released 2010-11-24) hilights:
- MSN login fixes, Jabber (3.0 had a bug that made Jabber contacts never
go offline), some other minor IM module fixes (including the new default
ICQ login server).
- Fixed build issues on some non-Linux systems.
- Minor bugfixes/improvements.
- Version 3.0 (released 2010-10-22) hilights:
- Lots of stuff, see the development version below.
- MSN protocol module was rewritten. This fixes some problems many
people were having with the old code lately, and adds support for things
like status messages and offline messages.
- The bitlbee-otr branch is now merged into mainline, which means you
can compile BitlBee with OTR encryption support, if you want, without
any need for patches/alternative branches.
- Many more fixes, small changes, etc. Just read the
non-bzr changelog for all details.
- Development version 1.3dev (released 2010-08-06) hilights:
- Too much to mention here, see the
Wiki and doc/CHANGES for more details.
- IRC core completely rewritten. This adds support for multiple configurable
control channels (for example one channel per group, one per IM account/protocol,
a channel with just your offline contacts), easier groupchat support, more
flexibility in how nicknames are generated, and finally you can easily change
your nickname whenever you want.
- The ability to use libpurple instead of the built-in code. This adds support
for more IM protocols and more features. Possibly less stable and lightweight,
so by default the built-in code will still be used.
- Support for file transfers.
- Version 1.2.8 (released 2010-07-04) hilights:
- Resolved ICQ login issues a few people were having.
- Many changes to the Twitter module: Ability to follow/unfollow,
use non-Twitter Twitter API services, better error reporting, and some
- You can configure BitlBee to identify itself as a different client
to get around artificial client restrictions.
- Some more minor bug fixes/etc.
- Version 1.2.7 (released 2010-05-15) hilights:
- Resolved MSN Messenger login issues.
- Twitter module now uses OAuth, so it'll still work after June.
- Various other fixes and small feature additions.
- Version 1.2.6a (released 2010-04-19) hilights:
- (1.2.6a because the original 1.2.6 release had one unfortunate bug in
the Twitter module.)
- Twitter support! (Implemented by Geert Mulders.)
- Fixed issues with MSN friendly names getting lost by allowing to store them
locally (see the local_display_name MSN setting.), and worked around problems
when talking to offline MSN contacts (see the switchboard_keepalives MSN
- The usual bug fixes and small feature enhancements.
- Version 1.2.5 (released 2010-03-17) hilights:
- Full support for non-away status messages.
- Ability to generate nicknames from the contact's full name, making Facebook's
XMPP server work much better with BitlBee.
- Lots of misc. bug fixes and small feature enhancements.
- Version 1.2.4 (released 2009-10-17) hilights:
- Fixed Yahoo! support.
- Replaced the join_chat command with something saner.
- The usual stability improvements and probably some small new features.
- Version 1.2.3 (released 2008-09-07) hilights:
- Fixed a security issue similar to the previous account overwrite/hijack bug.
- Version 1.2.2 (released 2008-08-26) hilights:
- Fixed a security issue where it was possible to recreate/hijack already
- Various stability improvements and minor feature enhancements.
- Version 1.2.1 (released 2008-06-24) hilights:
- Mostly a lot of fixes for bugs found after the 1.2 release.
- Daemon mode is now officially declared stable.
- Version 1.2 (released 2008-03-17) hilights:
- See 1.1.1dev and 1.1dev (Jabber module rewrite, Jabber groupchats,
better (and more secure) file format for user data, ForkDaemon mode).
- Yahoo! support in this release will hopefully still work next
- Development version 1.1.1dev (released 2007-11-24) hilights:
- Mostly internal changes (resolved some GPL issues, changed some
parts of the IM API).
- Support for Jabber chatrooms and an XML console.
- Support for named AIM chatrooms.
- Version 1.0.4 (released 2007-08-20) hilights:
- Removed call to sethostent() from proxy.c, this
caused a lot of problems especially for people on *BSD.
- Just some small bugfixes.
- Development version 1.1dev (released 2007-02-19) hilights:
- Many new features, enhancements, bugfixes, for example:
- Rewritten Jabber module.
- Improved file format for storing user configuration.
- ForkDaemon mode: Daemon mode without the stability problems.
- Please do read doc/CHANGES for more details.
- Version 1.0.3 (released 2006-06-24) hilights:
- Less ICQ spam because the web-aware flag is disabled.
- It's easier to talk to people who are not in your buddy list.
- ISON command works better with irssi (and probably other clients).
- The usual bug fixes.
- Version 1.0.2 (released 2006-04-01) hilights:
- Fixed some issues in charset handling.
- Better handling of Jabber away states.
- Some daemon mode stability/usability fixes.
- Lots of miscellaneous fixes, cleanups, etc.
- Version 1.0.1 (released 2006-01-14) hilights:
- This version contains some of the changes from the current bzr tree, mainly bug fixes:
- AIM groupchat support.
- Fixes problems with MSN messages failing to arrive.
- Fixes problems with not seeing Jabber buddies online.
- Now handles MSN passwords with commas correctly.
- Code cleanup.
- Version 1.0 (released 2005-12-04) hilights:
- Another release with a speech!
- After more than three years, finally version 1.0 with, besides a couple
of minor enhancements and bug fixes:
- Renamed the control channel to &bitlbee, mainly to avoid confusion
with #bitlbee on OFTC.
- Jabber cleanup, plus handling for packets from RSS-to-Jabber feeds.
- Support for AIM typing notifications.
- Typing notifications now come in as a CTCP too. Don't forget to update
- Fixes a possible DoS bug.
- Version 0.99 (released 2005-11-03) hilights:
- Fixes the OSCAR stability bug from 0.93.
- Fixed MSN typing notifications.
- Hopefully fixed the one annoying bug that stopped us from releasing 1.0.
- Documentation improvements.
- Version 0.93a (released 2005-10-31) hilights:
- Nothing, just forgot to set the version number string in bitlbee.h
- Version 0.93 (released 2005-10-31) hilights:
- More cleaning up before 1.0. Releasing this one now because it's a waste
to keep all the changes unreleased for so long.
- AIM/OSCAR improvements (set strip html is no longer necessary, info command
works for AIM, better handling of away messages/states).
- Fixed the helpfile (examples were missing in the last release).
- The Jabber module allows you to specify an alternate server now, which is
necessary to connect to Google Talk, for example.
- Version 0.92 (released 2005-02-23) hilights:
- A number of security- and stability-related bugfixes, including some (not
very severe) bugs found after a security audit done by infamous41md.
- In fact, not much else. Just getting closer to a great 1.0 release.
- Version 0.91 (released 2004-09-25) hilights:
- Support for ICQ server-side buddy lists!
- Better Unicode/non-ASCII support for ICQ.
- Support for AIM/ICQ and iChat interoperability.
- A working info-command for almost all protocols.
- Lots of bugfixes.
- Version 0.90a (released 2004-06-28) hilights:
- Fixed Yahoo! authentication code. (Thanks to Gaim/Cerulean Studios)
- Version 0.90 (released 2004-05-28) hilights:
- Another release with a speech!
- A complete rewrite of the MSN module, which mainly means more stability, but
also some good new features and other enhancements.
- Lots of cleanups and fixes in the other IM-modules.
- Full support for operating behind proxy servers.
- Lots of usability and stability improvements, bug fixes and new features.
- Version 0.85a (released 2004-03-24) hilights:
- Bugfixes. Just bugfixes.
- Fixed: Login problems with MSN for some people, minor portability issues,
strange ICQ warning messages on empty buddy lists and some other things.
- Version 0.85 (released 2004-03-13) hilights:
- Applied the daemon patch: Daemon mode and flood protection are available by default now.
- Yahoo! conference (not the chat channels, just groupchats) support.
- Buffering of outgoing messages to merge pastes into one multi-line message.
- Lots of bugfixes.
- Version 0.84 (released 2004-02-13) hilights:
- Fixed Yahoo! support.
- MSN module works without libsoup now.
- Code cleanup.
- Version 0.83 (released 2003-12-31) hilights:
- Mainly bugfixes.
- Added some features especially useful for public servers. (Like
- Version 0.82 (released 2003-10-31) hilights:
- Fixed a buffer overflow plus another problem in the nick handling code.
- Fixed MSN support.
- Added the qlist command.
- Version 0.81a (released 2003-10-16) hilights:
- This is what 0.81 should have been...
- Fixed the Makefile: It doesn't just overwrite files in etcdir anymore.
- MSN is now disabled by default because the module doesn't work anyway.
- Fixed a small problem in the auto-reconnect cleanup code.
- Version 0.81 (released 2003-10-15) hilights:
- Added a configuration file.
- Added some access restrictions for people who don't want their BitlBee
server to be open to anyone.
- Added basic support for charsets, which makes BitlBee more useful to
people who don't speak ASCII.
- Added support for automatic reconnection to an IM-server.
- Added the nick command so MSN people can change their full name. (Indeed
not so useful after today...)
- Yahoo! now works again.
- Let me be clear about this: This version does not fix MSN support
yet. Maybe a later version will, but for now we don't know what we can
- Version 0.80 (released 2003-06-24, exactly a year after the first line of code for BitlBee was written!) hilights:
- The first release with its own speech!
- Better code for away-state setting and reading.
- Support for MSN groupchats!
- A new login system, a lot neater than the previous one.
- Away-state changes are displayed as voices/devoices now. It's very easy to see who's away in /names now.
- A lot of bugfixes, new toys and stability fixes. Enough to name this one 0.80 instead of 0.75!
- Version 0.74a (released 2003-06-11) hilights:
- The music-festivals-are-bad-for-your-mind release.
- This one actually contains the bugfix 0.74 claimed to have.
- Version 0.74 (released 2003-06-10) hilights:
- Nothing really, except for a security fix. Just wait for 0.80 or try a daily snapshot if you want to see brand new stuff..
- Version 0.73 (released 2003-04-13) hilights:
- Added support for Yahoo!.
- AIM users can also use /away now.
- A number of stability fixes, especially most/all crashes when reconnecting should now be gone.
- Improved some latencies.
- Version 0.72 (released 2002-12-19) hilights:
- Improved MSN friendlyname code.
- Improved AOL support. Problems with case/space sensitivity should all be gone now.
- Added buddylist and userinfo commands.
- Version 0.71 (released 2002-09-16) hilights:
- The usual second-release release..
- Added license file (which was missing in 0.70 unfortunately)
- Lots of NickServ changes and improvements
- A way better help system
- A lot of other changes, just read doc/CHANGES for more information